[oi-dev] Request for volunteers: Building LibreOffice

Philip J. Robar philip.robar at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 21:28:17 UTC 2011

On Sep 20, 2011, at 4:10 PM, Alasdair Lumsden wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> http://alasdairrr.tumblr.com/post/10404734792/libreoffice
>
> We've been joined by a LibreOffice developer in #oi-dev, who is willing to help us with a port of LibreOffice to OpenIndiana.
>
> Unfortunately all the usual suspects who might work on this are tied up - so I'm mailing the lists to find out if anyone might be interested in collaborating with us on this?
>
> Ideally someone who steps forward should know their way around a Makefile pretty well and have ported software to Solaris before - LibreOffice is pretty big.
>
> Getting LibreOffice into OI would be a big win - it's an often requested package.

I used to do this type of thing all of the time for my group’s local server when I was at Sun so I can probably help*. However, when I found the source tar balls at LibreOffice’s site I was unmoved by the lack of documentation. But then, I found this site: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/ — which seems to be the place to get stated, yes?

Since it already builds on numerous UNIX™ and UNIX like systems I presume that the port ought to be pretty straight forward. Is there anything in particular that I need to know about before I get started?

Phil

*My dislike of and only minor familiarity with C++ not withstanding.