[oi-dev] New BE every package update?

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Mon Apr 16 14:07:48 UTC 2012

2012-04-16 0:27, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
> How would you boot back to a ZFS snapshot if your update trashed the
> current BE?
> That's exactly what a BE is for (and it's little more than a ZFS
> snapshot anyway).

Well, to be pedantic - it is a bit more than a snapshot of the
ROOT/bename(/*) dataset hierarchy (in general): it is a ZFS
clone (set of clones) based on these snapshots ;)

And also it is a change in GRUB entries and/or "bootfs" property
of rpool.

There's little to no more magic that I've discovered with my
tests regarding hierarchical datasets for root BEs (detailed
in illumos bugtracker as https://www.illumos.org/issues/829)
and the system is quite sturdy compared to LiveUpgrade that it
used to compete with in my Solaris 10 and Osol SXCE systems -
LU needed a lot more manual massaging to work properly in
my setups ;)

My 2c,
//Jim Klimov