[oi-dev] Which rge driver is in the latest bits?

ken mays maybird1776 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 23 13:10:25 UTC 2012

Hello,

The gani driver switch was a quick fix, but let us consider all things in perspective...

The OI ticket was moved to the existing ticket, https://www.illumos.org/issues/756, to see if the Illumos-gate team would either fix the issues with the rge driver or consider the RFE to use the 'newer' gani driver (which 'seems' the answer to many OpenIndiana user's previous problems with current rge driver). The rge code in illumos-gate is the most recent of the legacy rge driver code to work from if you want to use it (answering Milan's previous question).

Based on Rich Lowe's response, he'd rather debug the current rge driver in illumos-gate since they maintain the
drivers within the illumos-gate codebase. IMHO, consider that they do have 'customers' that want a fully-functional 'production-grade' rge driver, so switching over to the gani driver may not be the true final answer for them. Anyhow, the ball is in their court and it is up to them what they do with their codebase. If people want to help fix and test the rge driver code, please contact them.

BTW, there was previous work on the rge driver:
https://www.illumos.org/issues/143

There is a hackathon underway as well as GSoC where something like this may finally get resolved...

~ Ken Mays