[oi-dev] A release to install >= icore5 machines?

ken mays maybird1776 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 27 12:08:01 UTC 2012

Hello,

Ref: http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.os.openindiana.devel/1323
You mentioned: "Triskelios also noted that there was not a driver for my ethernet
card "JMicron Technology Corp.|JMC250 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet
Controller [NETWORK_ETHERNET] (vendor:197b device:0250 subv:1558
subd:1500) (rev: 05)", another problem that major distros don't fail."

Triskelioswas incorrect about the driver's existance.

The drivers exists for both your NIC (JMC250) and Nvidia GPU (drivers: jmge and nvidia). Check if you disabled the Intel GPU and if still interferes with the Nvidia GPU when you enable the graphic override switch. You can create a xorg.conf file and have X use that with 'nvidia' driver specified if its autodetect gets confused. Check your log file for X for those errors.

As mentioned, most of the OI_devs (and others) have oi_151a or variants running on Intel Atoms and Icore i5/i7-based laptops/servers/workstations (i.e. where applicable). Since the OS is installed on your laptop, is it just a 3D graphic issue and getting the jmge ethernet driver compiled and installed? You said you can run twm, so I
take it you may want to do something 3D-oriented as well.

jmge driver: http://homepage2.nifty.com/mrym3/taiyodo/jmge-2.6.3.tar.gz
nvidia driver (OI-IPS):driver/graphics/nvidia at 0.295.33,5.11-0.151.1.3:20120329T221541Z

~ Ken Mays