[oi-dev] [OpenIndiana-discuss] Calibre doc converter to ebooks formats for OpenIndiana??

Francois Dion francois.dion at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 12:33:52 UTC 2012

On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 6:08 AM, Apostolos Syropoulos
<asyropoulos at yahoo.com> wrote:

>> Sadly I don't think it's been built on OI.  There are Linux, OS X and
>> windows version - I guess you could install Ubuntu inside KVM and try it
>> there?
>> It's an amazing program.
>>

> I have downloaded the source and it is actually a Python script that
> relies on Qt4. So it is not difficult to build it... We can't expect
> everything from others!
>
> A.S.

Calibre is written in python, not just the build script. The list of
requirements is (the minimum versions):

python	2.7.1 not 3.x
Python Imaging Library	1.1.6
Qt	4.8.0
PyQt	4.9.1
python-mechanize	0.1.11
ImageMagick	6.5.9
xdg-utils	1.0.2
lxml	2.2.1
python-dateutil	1.4.1
cssutils	0.9.9
BeautifulSoup	3.0.5
dnspython	1.6.0
poppler	0.12.0
podofo	0.8.2
libwmf	0.2.8
chmlib	0.40
ICU	4.4

That's from the official list. That doesn't look too bad at first,
since as was pointed out we have QT in SFE. SFE also provides ICU,
poppler and chmlib. libwmf compiles easily and so do sip/pyqt. The
rest is mostly python eggs. The two issues I have left:

podofo chokes in the compile due to ** vs *const* on pdfvecobjects.cpp
OI has Python 2.6 and this requires 2.7

For podofo, i'm sure I'll figure out the switch, but until the second
is resolved, there is no point in spending more time on this. Python
2.7 itself needs some stuff, and mostly compiles, but it needs
berkeley db 1.8.5. That version needs to be patched, and needs a
Makefile for OI etc, etc. The make on Python 2.7 is also failing to
build _curses and _curses_panel.

Then, once all of that is done, you have to create packages, even for
the python eggs (you dont want to force the user to issue a bunch of
easy_install commands in order to be able to use the package).

The main thing still is python 2.7 support in OI, because that
requires doing a bunch of 2.7 modules (look in packagemanager all the
2.6 modules...). Mint 13, Mac OS/X etc do provide 2.7 as 2.x, but
solaris 11 provides 2.6, like OI.

Maybe this discussion should move to oi-dev... (cc'ed)

Francois