[oi-dev] ntfs-3g and fuse

Jean-Pierre André jean-pierre.andre at wanadoo.fr
Tue Aug 21 09:13:50 UTC 2012

Hi,

Alasdair Lumsden wrote:
> Hi Jean-Pierre,
>
> Great work! I wonder if we could find a way to get these fixes applied
> upstream.
>
> We would also like to add ntfs-3g to oi-build (illumos-userland)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Alasdair
>
> On 24/01/2012 14:16, Jean-Pierre ANDRE wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> As a maintainer of ntfs-3g, I have received bug reports on
>> OpenIndiana. Digging into them, I found there were almost all caused
>> by the buggy fuse kernel module, which nobody seems to care about. So
>> I had to do it myself....
>>
>> If anybody is interested, please see
>> http://b.andre.pagesperso-orange.fr/openindiana-ntfs-3g.html
>>
>> Bugs fixed in the fuse kernel module :
>>
>> - Return st_blocks as defined by the file system
>> - Process the error returned by the file system on unlink()
>> - Do not send create() for existing files to the file system
>> - Delete sent messages when no reply is expected (memory leak)
>> - Clear the gaps left when writing beyond the end of file
>> - Fix the reference count on directories in order to send releasedir
>> (memory leak)
>>
>> I have still not found why the file size is limited to 2GB.
>>
>> Please note I am not the maintainer or packager of fuse, so whoever
>> wants to take it over would be welcome.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Jean-Pierre
Four years ago, a bug was reported about ntfs-3g on OpenSolaris :
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-coreutils/2008-08/msg00065.html

This bug was analyzed to be a fuse kernel module bug, but nobody apparently
fixed it at the time. This was one of the bugs I fixed last January : it was
just caused by fuse not returning the error code to the caller.

I have just noticed that the fuse kernel module was recompiled on sfe on
August 6th, and this is just recompiling the buggy version, with no value
added to anybody. It is very buggy and looks like it has never been
debugged. I had to make about 40 fixes.

I just wanted to mention again that a fixed version exists, and it
passes the
1964 tests of the PJD Posix test suite.

Just have a look at
http://jp-andre.pagesperso-orange.fr/openindiana-ntfs-3g.html