[oi-dev] Resignation as OI Lead

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Thu Aug 30 09:06:16 UTC 2012

2012-08-30 11:46, Milan Jurik wrote:
 > More important is - what is immediate impact of your resignation? Is it
 > end of OI?

I think it doesn't have to be. If there are enough good guys
still wanting OI to be - and EveryCity are even still providing
the infrastructure - why not go on and keep making OI like we
did before?

It does not have to wither just because of a managemental change.
Are we a community or a herd? ;) (well, a lot of both)

 >  From my point currently Jon is moving /dev slowly forward - is he
 > willing to continue in it with help from few remaining people?
 >
 > oi-experimental is dead end, so is illumos-userland. Good thing. It was
 > big switch breaking things and wasting resources.
 >
 > oi-build is slowly taking attention as much better way in our current
 > situation.

I am not sure about the intricacies here. I thought there was oi-build
which was (attempted to be) ported into illumos common infrastructure
of third-party software generally useful on any system or something
like that. In what way is this a dead end - or what do I misunderstand?

 > There is question about prestable, if it should stay as prestable or we
 > can accept it as moving dev (as it is now in reality). Would automated
 > release every 2 weeks help? Yes, some releases can be broken but we have
 > BEs and people will be forced to fix things or leave.

I think prestables should remain, even if not "very" stable, as some
milestones against which we can compare performances, bugs, etc.
Maybe these would be just nightly builds made on the first of every
month, maybe something else (i.e. someone would track changes as
bleeding edge or relatively stable).

I think that the current discussive and slow RTI process with "gate
should be always stable" kind of solves that problem for us; but it
also limits preliminary testing of new drivers and features to those
people who can build OI (knowledge, time, CPU time) and boot their
system with it. Maybe this is the differentiator for (pre)stable
builds - with things that passed RTI - and for a bleeding edge
sandbox with current proposals?

The latter, if made into LiveCD images regularly, could provide for
more testing by people who can boot an image and test something.

Having more frequent releases, like monthlies, of things that passed
RTI would IMHO be good. There's a lot of bugs fixed in the tracker,
but the general public can't make use of them until binaries arrive.

 > Currently I fixed the most of things around OI SFE so I can move my
 > attention back to illumos and OI after my vacation the next week. With
 > small change, from July I switched my position in company and my spare
 > time is very limited. But long winter nights are comming
 >
 > Best regards
 >
 > from mad man who is using OI as his primary desktop at home

I'm just becoming one too, after all the servers

//Jim

PS: Is it documented how to turn illumos-gate + illumos-userland
(or is it oi-build?) into a livecd image identical to one of OI?
I mean, are the docs up-to-date with the sources and gates involved?