[oi-dev] Resignation as OI Lead

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Fri Aug 31 00:25:38 UTC 2012

2012-08-31 3:53, garrett.damore at dey-sys.com wrote:
> In the modern era of virtualization, why wouldn't you do this with a hypervisor?  I run illumos on my mac -- in a vm.  (You can even do this for free with VirtualBox, although in my experience VMware offers a better experience.  VB may have fixed the pathological problem that made me steer clear of it in the past -- I haven't looked into it recently.)

Well, thinking of a developer workstation, with multiple VMs for testing
and developing stuff, a hypervisor based on illumos was what I'd have
in mind first-hand: with ZFS cloning/snapshotting and rollbacking of
VMs it allows for quite "cheap" experiments in terms of disk space,
etc., while keeping even a single-spindle laptop's data safer with ZFS.

I am not sure about KVM, but with Virtualbox's desktop integration one
might make his individual virtual windows from guest OSes seem like
they are apps of the host. Presumably, that (or lx-branded zones) can
take care of Skype while we're busy eating our dogfood ;)

Being not a voracious graphics user with intricate appetites, I'd not
bother much about how nice this illumos-based OS's desktop looks or
how last-version its firefox is. If it can draw some windows quickly,
that's good enough. A full-blown graphical OS with a primary focus of
being a lap/desktop?.. Well, that's what I'm trying since yesterday.

OOB HW support is kinda lacking, and that may be a problem on both
server and desktop markets for illumos in general :(

//Jim