[oi-dev] Resignation as OI Lead

Sašo Kiselkov skiselkov.ml at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 12:53:34 UTC 2012

On 08/31/2012 11:14 AM, Volker A. Brandt wrote:
> garrett.damore at dey-sys.com writes:
>> So then, I have just a single question: What is the compelling
>> reason for doing all this effort?  Why not just load up Ubuntu on
>> your desktop (or buy a Mac, or even run *cough* Windows) and run
>> illumos bits in a VM?
>
> http://tirania.org/blog/archive/2012/Aug-29.html

I'm sorry, but I have to contest this claim. The actual fact of the
matter is not that OSX killed Linux (or any other *nix for that matter),
but rather that the PC market is not growing by such a large margin
anymore, and its not the golden poster child of technological progress
that the press liked to make it out to be. It however does not mean that
PCs aren't an important market.

Amid all of the Apple hysteria its also easy to forget that not
everybody is willing to fork over >1500 EUR for a laptop with a picture
of a fruit on it. Not to mention that academic institutions,
governmental agencies and all sorts of other organizations the world
over are heavy Linux/open-source users not only on servers, but also on
desktops. It's easy to forget that if you're only taking into account
the relatively sheltered life of Solaris and Sun.

So in all, I think there is a definitive user base for Illumos on the
desktop. There *are* places where we can excel (e.g. in deeply
integrating ZFS with the UIs). Lots of work? Sure. But may be worth it,
if only for tinkering and playing.

Cheers,
--
Saso