[oi-dev] Resignation as OI Lead

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Fri Aug 31 15:43:14 UTC 2012

On Thu, 30 Aug 2012, garrett.damore at dey-sys.com wrote:

> So then, I have just a single question:  What is the compelling
> reason for doing all this effort?  Why not just load up Ubuntu on
> your desktop (or buy a Mac, or even run *cough* Windows) and run
> illumos bits in a VM?

This position you advocate is a very low-performing one and not very
reliable either.  It is much better to run the inferior OSs in a VM.

The so-called "desktop" is a way to interact with the OS using a
graphical interface.  It is not necessary for it to directly support
idle social applications like "Skype".

On hardware I have here, I find OpenIndiana's "desktop" to be quite
performant.  I also find Solaris 10's aging "desktop" to be quite
performant.  I find the "desktop" to be less performant on Linux
systems like Ubtuntu because the focus there seem to be to consume all
available resources with new effects and exotic graphics which do not
contribute to getting things done.  It has not taken me long to learn
that Ubtuntu is so frightfully complicated that its developers do not
quite understand how it works, and they have not even resolved the
long-standing randomly-occuring bug that the system ignores requests
to shut down and reboots fail to properly initialize the audio device.
I have also had Apple hardware and OS here but it suffers from issues
particular to Apple's social culture (which bears some resemblance to
Oracle) and it is difficult to recommend that someone depend on it for
long term use.

Current OpenIndiana is satisfactory for most things that I need and it
only lacks ready-made packages for Firefox, Thunderbird, OpenOffice,
and the available Flash plugin.  If detractors do not get in the way,
forward progress will resume, and these packages will surely appear.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn