[oi-dev] userland-unpack looks to be...

Bayard Bell buffer.g.overflow at gmail.com
Sat Feb 11 00:47:05 UTC 2012

a pretty awful piece of software. It seems to recurse into a temp
subdirectory under the current one and to prepend ../ to the front of all
path names, even absolute ones. This makes it a bit short of helpful when
you're trying to extract additional archives in arbitrary places on top of
the primary (e.g. git, which for some reason has a separate archive for its
man pages and no bloody Makefile to install them). My immediate reaction is
that it needs to be taught absolute path names, but I really don't
understand the full range of expected use cases. That probably means
reading through make-rules/*.mk and then "find components -name Makefile |
xargs grep UNPACK", but I was hoping someone might be able to hit me with a
clue stick before I go through that exercise. Somehow I expect I'll be
consoling myself by calling tar or gtar directory out of what should be a
very simple rule.

</grumbling>