[oi-dev] Opening the wiki to registrations

Jeppe Toustrup openindiana at tenzer.dk
Thu Feb 9 08:38:50 UTC 2012

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 00:21, Magnus <magnus at yonderway.com> wrote:
> I came in initially interested in contributing doc, but I've pulled back from the wiki because of the daily vandalizing by spammers in the comments section. I don't think it would be advisable to open up registrations for the potential vandalizing of articles when we're not yet in a place that even the comments can be effectively policed.

We won't allow anonymous users to edit pages, you need to register
first - at least that's how I understand it. Because of this I don't
think you can compare it to the amount of spam comments there have
been posted, as the only thing you needed in order to post a comment
was to fill out a captcha.

I have by the way gone through all the pages and removed the spam
comments I have found, so we can claim the wiki to be spam free now :)

> I don't know if Confluence is just particularly more spammer friendly, or if it's an implementation issue, or if we just need more wiki cops.  My registration allows me to see quite a lot of content in areas that I don't think I'm empowered or expected to provide volunteer services yet (or maybe I am? I don't know…).  If my access level is incorrect and just conveys with a basic registration, then we've got ACL's to worry about. If my access level is correct, than no worries. I'd expressed interest in helping with infrastructure at some point so maybe that's why I can see what I can see.

This was corrected last night, thank you for notifying us about it.

> Confluence itself has honestly been a bit personally off-putting. I don't mean to be a wiki whiner, but trying to figure out why it is I'm not really enthused about writing doc for the wiki when I publish documents on a (private) MediaWiki every day. I feel badly enough about the current wiki that I've considered either writing an .epub and hosting it on github, or starting a blog. I only mention these things because feedback is being solicited here.

We probably can't find a solution which works equally well for
everybody, and considering the existing content is in Confluence, it
would just be extra work for us - without much gain - if we choose to
migrate to another wiki system. We should at least have a clear plan
for what we are trying to gain from it, and how we are going to do it,
before we start a migration.

--
Venlig hilsen / Kind regards
Jeppe Toustrup (aka. Tenzer)