[oi-dev] pre-built build zones

Magnus magnus at yonderway.com
Sat Feb 11 16:00:32 UTC 2012

On Feb 11, 2012, at 10:49 AM, Lou Picciano wrote:

> Yes, indeed, a pre-configured, ready-to-go build zone was part of my original hope for the Oi-build world. Perhaps naïve on my part, but with all the power of zone cloning/exporting/snapping - this always seemed to me a natural confluence. It does seem that, with recent renewed energy and activity around the process, we may actually be approximating that goal.
>
> Would be very helpful to a wider range of people, who - like me(?) - are really not too good with this build stuff; well, at least, it started out feeling quite 'foreign'. Lowering the barrier to entry = A Good Thing.

I've got some interest in building some packages, but there is a huge learning curve of other things that have to happen first to get the build environment working. I'd rather be able to focus solely on how to package for OI.  The wiki makes some attempts to document the process but I suspect that most of the wisdom to get it actually working is now part of oral tradition.

Would love to just say…

pfexec dsadm import ${UUID-FOR-BUILD-ZONE}
pfexec vim /path/to/zonedef
# set IP address and a couple other site-specific options for build zone
pfexec vmadm create -f /path/to/zonedef

The UUID for the build zone should be well known for each OI environment, documented in the wiki. If you're building packages for oi151, you use a specific UUID. Once that 'vmadm create' is done, you should be able to ssh into your build zone and immediately start working.

I'd much rather be chasing down resources for understanding how to build packages for oi than how to build a build zone to build packages for oi. :-)

-M