[oi-dev] Lets talk about Git

Bayard Bell buffer.g.overflow at gmail.com
Sun Feb 12 18:39:08 UTC 2012

richlowe's been working on both, but neither are in use with OI.

My preference for all of this functionality would be to have the validation
done by the pull request. Webrevs could be generated automatically, and the
applicable nits would give feedback requesting either that they be resolved
for a subsequent pull or by providing quick notes or tick boxes to explain
why they aren't strictly necessary. You're provided an issue tracker ID for
the submit request, and that tracks these kinds of things and is
responsible for generating the webrev and sending out the review mail once
issues immediately applicable to the submission are resolved. Workflow
would also be responsible for checking CI build and test status as a
prereq. An issue tracker could used to provide all the workflow state, but
if that's too clunky (or the issue tracker too unreliable), it could be put
into a database.

That's my cocktail napkin sketch of workflow (or at least the basics--there
are other pieces I have in mind), which fuses some stuff I talked about at
the illumos hackathon with the floor discussion on the contribution process
we had at FOSDEM.