[oi-dev] ntfs-3g and fuse

Milan Jurik milan.jurik at xylab.cz
Mon Feb 13 13:45:50 UTC 2012

Hi Jean-Pierre,

On 13.02.2012 11:16, Jean-Pierre André wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Milan Jurik wrote:
>> Hi Jean-Pierre,
>>
>> Jean-Pierre ANDRE píše v út 24. 01. 2012 v 15:16 +0100:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> As a maintainer of ntfs-3g, I have received bug reports on
>>> OpenIndiana. Digging into them, I found there were almost all caused
>>> by the buggy fuse kernel module, which nobody seems to care about. So
>>> I had to do it myself....
>>>

> I think I have now finished the first level debugging of
> the fuse kernel module....
>
> With the fixes, ntfs-3g passes the Posix file system test
> http://www.tuxera.com/community/posix-test-suite/
> except for a single test :
>
> Failed Test                               Stat Wstat Total Fail  List
> of Failed

> /home/linux/fstest/pjd-fstest/tests/open/                3    1  2
> Failed 1/191 test scripts. 1/1964 subtests failed.
> Files=191, Tests=1964, 351 wallclock secs (19.50 cusr + 99.55 csys =
> 119.05 CPU)
> Failed 1/191 test programs. 1/1964 subtests failed.
>
> The test which fails is the test for opening a fifo
> named by ntfs-3g. Obviously this opening should be
> bounced elsewhere, but I have no idea where....
>
> There are a few other obscure things, which I cannot
> clarify without the help of a Solaris VFS expert.
> Reviewing of the code by a Solaris developer would
> also be useful : there were a lot of memory leaks,
> missing lockings, and forgotten unlockings. There
> were obvious deficiencies in the quality management
> of the initial version.

no surprise, the original developers were not filesystem experts.

> In the meantime, I consider the result as a release
> candidate.
>
> Please see
> http://b.andre.pagesperso-orange.fr/openindiana-ntfs-3g.html

Wow.

> By the way, where is the official OpenIndiana source
> repository for this ?

Nowhere. Currently it is build from spec-files-extra
(http://pkgbuild.sourceforge.net/spec-files-extra/) which is using the
last OpenSolaris.org FUSE tarball (it contains head of the FUSE repo) +
your patches, then it is pulled by SFE OI. What I did it was that I took
the tarballs (opensolaris.org and your) and created diff and pushed the
diff to spec-files-extra.

> I saw Milan posting the patches,
> but is not clear to me against what the patches were.
> I can provide a list of patches per fix for a source
> repository management.

I think the best way would be to clone opensolaris.org repo to some
public repository site and commit your patches there. It makes no sense
to continue with opensolaris.org repository as the latest updates to
that site brought more closed source management features than community
things. I can create one later this week (I will be mostly off till
weekend) if nobody will stand up.

> Regards
>
> Jean-Pierre

Best regards,