[oi-dev] [userland] Re: illumos-userland update

Bayard G. Bell buffer.g.overflow at gmail.com
Sun Feb 19 23:06:57 UTC 2012

Hi, Volker,

On Sun, 2012-02-19 at 21:24 +0100, Volker A. Brandt wrote:
> Hi Alasdair!
>

> This all sounds very interesting.

[snip]

> 9. Thorougly document the entire process of contributing on the
>    userland level so that people interested in packaging specific
>    applications, libraries etc. but without sufficient time to
>    master the entire system still have a chance to join.

We've started expanding on that. See for examples, the documents hanging
off:

http://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/Building+with+illumos-userland

> Yes, that describes me. :-)

We're also very aware of people who are interested but are trying to
stay involved while juggling other full-time commitments and trying to
find ways to bring you on board. For example, we've been trying to give
clear shape to a WIPing post, where work in progress can change hands on
the way to commits and is funnelled more collectively into the
contribution process. Alasdair, who has to juggle obligations to OI with
running a business, is very appreciative of these issues, which impact a
substantial number of current and potential contributors. If there are
specific things that you can say about how you'd like to engage as a
part-time contributor, please drop us a line off-list to discuss.

Cheers,
Bayard