[oi-dev] OI on SPARC???

Sašo Kiselkov skiselkov.ml at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 14:02:54 UTC 2012

On 06/19/2012 05:02 AM, Randy DuCharme wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Is there anyone working on the SPARC platform?  I can't seem to find any
> resources other than the link on an OI that says "Help us support SPARC".
>  It leads me to the "get involved" page but digging through pages upon
> pages for nearly 2 weeks I find no SPARC-related bits.  I've got a Blade
> and 2 Ultras here and after seeing the x86 version run on my AMD Phenom II
> system I've got renewed interest.  I've run Solaris and OSOL for years on
> them. ('till Oracle got ahold of it)  Would love to see this distro take
> off and help in any way I can. (particularly with the SPARC platform)
>  (I've been a developer/software engineer for over 15 years professionally)
>
> Who can point me to the place/person to go to to get me started.
>
> Kind regards

I love SPARC and I've got a bunch of unused SPARC kit lying around too,
but unfortunately, for real-world performance, support, choice, ease of
development and pure economic sense, SPARC is a dead platform. Intel ate
SPARC's lunch, big time. With vendors like SuperMicro producing cheap,
fast and well supported hardware on which we can run Illumos, going to a
proprietary, expensive and single vendor-sourced solution (no matter how
sexy) simply isn't an option for most deployments. A shame, really,
considering the rich history of SPARC as a platform...

--
Saso