[oi-dev] [developer] how to fix support for system_locale in sysidcfg for non global zone installation

Garrett D'Amore garrett at damore.org
Tue May 29 15:02:50 UTC 2012

Garrett D'Amore
garrett at damore.org

On May 29, 2012, at 7:03 AM, Joerg Schilling wrote:

> DavidHalko <davidhalko at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Sparse zones were probably one of the most innovative features of Solaris 10, providing significant value, and one of out biggest issues with moving off of Solaris 10.
>>
>> If OpenIndiana supported SPARC with Sparse Zones, managed service providers would have a serious time trying to justify not moving to OpenIndiana.
>>
>> There are at least 2 distro's based on SVR4 packaging right now with at least 2 SVR4 package provider. The issue with all Illumos-based distro's is no distro is providing security patches and enough backwards compatibility with Solaris 10.
>>

> Which distros do you refer to?
>
> BTW: illumos does not support SVr4 packaging, SchilliX-ON does.

That is a false statement.

We have support for SVR4 packaging in the illumos gate.  The *distros* have not elected to deliver SVR4 packages, and furthermore, we don't have tools *in-tree* to generate SVR4 packages from the IPS manifests, but I submit writing such a tool would be a nearly trivial matter.  (In fact, I've written a tool that parses IPS manifests to build a distribution for my company, although it lacks any packaging metadata, as our "distro" is just an ISO.  But I could have just as easily emitted pkginfo and prototype files to generate SVR4 package binaries.)  We *do* have most (all?) of the SVR4 tool set in-tree though.

	- Garrett