[oi-dev] OI mailing lists subjects are too long/cut off them

Nikola M. minikola at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 20:19:17 UTC 2012

Does someone cares for Mailing lists subjects are too long?

They need their Message subjects containing Bug statuses, cut-off,
from [List-name] [OpenIndiana Distribution - Bug #XXXX] (Bugstatus)*
*to     [List-name][OI-dBug#XXXX](Bugstatus)
so they could even try to fit on the screen in the mail client. (cut
spaces, too).

That way we can save about 22 characters for every message subject,
that could largely help in actually reading Bug names in subjects.

That goes for [Caiman-team], [G11n-team], [Jds-team], [Pkg-team],
[Sfw-team], [Userland-team] and [Xnv-team]:
> [Caiman-team] [OpenIndiana Distribution - Bug #XXXX] (In Bugstatus)
> <long bug descriptive name always going out of the screen>
> [G11n-team] [OpenIndiana Distribution - Bug #XXXX] (In Bugstatus)
> <long bug descriptive name always going out of the screen>[Jds-team]
> [OpenIndiana Distribution - Bug #XXX] (In Bugstatus) <long bug
> descriptive name>
> [Pkg-team] [OpenIndiana Distribution - Bug #XXXX] (In Bugstatus) <long
> bug descriptive name always going out of the screen>
> [Sfw-team] [OpenIndiana Distribution - Bug #XXXX] (In Bugstatus) <long
> bug descriptive name always going out of the screen>
> [Userland-team] [OpenIndiana Distribution - Bug #XXXX] (Bugstatus)
> <long bug descriptive name always going out of the screen>
> [Xnv-team] [OpenIndiana Distribution - Bug #XXXX] (Bugstatus) <long
> bug descriptive name always going out of the screen>
I end up never reading those mailing lists, because message subjects
could not even fit on screen.
I propose cutting Subject names like this:

When sending to mailing list, cutting
     [Caiman-team] *[OpenIndiana Distribution - Bug #XXXX] (Bugstatus)*
<long bug descriptive name always going out of the screen>
to [Caiman-team]*[OI-dBug#XXXX](Bugstatus)* <long bug descriptive name
trying to fit>

To try to save Subject space to acually try to display bug name in
Subject on the major of mail clients.
That way, mailing lists could do their job of informing on bug statuses.

Other lists are how they could be and need no intervention:
[oi-dev] <human generated>
[oi-infa] <human generated>
[Bugs-team] <human generated>
[Openindiana-New-developers] <human generated>
[Openindiana-discuss] <human generated>