[oi-dev] (Laptop) Keyboard locking up when in kmdb panic handler

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Thu Oct 4 08:04:15 UTC 2012

While tracing my laptop's bootup, I pass the "-k" option to the
kernel boot line in GRUB. Whenever a panic happens, instead of
rebooting instantly the laptop does display a list of loaded
modules, stacktrace, etc. and a kmdb prompt with an invitation
to "continue" (:c) to reboot the system.

Unfortunately, something like 19 times out of 20 the keyboard is
locked up, so it ignores my attempts to continue, ctrl+alt+del
or otherwise reboot the system. This being a laptop and lacking
a reset button, I can only hold the power button to turn it off
and then back on, which is inconvenient and induces unneeded wear
on the mechanics (hdd, fans, etc.)

I've seen discussions of similar problems a while ago, and hoped
they were sorted out by now. Well, as of oi_151a5 they are still
here :(

Ideas welcome,
//Jim Klimov