[oi-dev] Desktop Illumos Still Matters

Magnus magnus at yonderway.com
Sun Sep 2 16:17:48 UTC 2012

On Sep 2, 2012, at 11:18 AM, Alan Coopersmith wrote:

> On 09/ 2/12 07:00 AM, Adam Števko wrote:
>> IPS is documented in the official IPS Developer Guide located somewhere in the OpenSolaris/Oracle page. I went it through lately and I find it a good source for learning to work with IPS, in general.
>
> http://hub.opensolaris.org/bin/download/Project+pkg/files/ipsdevguide.pdf

FWIW, I think this sort of response is a sign of ill health for Illumos. We're still pointing to Oracle for our own documentation. And, as we should know by now, Oracle has no problems withdrawing things from public view with no warning.

Additionally, I see us debating about putting a lot of work into supporting a small fringe of users (desktop) while nobody is really talking about modernizing hardware support for ubiquitous 4K sector hard disks (and I mean beyond crude hacks).

We're missing the big important stuff.