[oi-dev] Desktop Illumos Still Matters

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Sun Sep 2 18:08:36 UTC 2012

On 09/ 2/12 10:47 AM, Nick Zivkovic wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 2, 2012 at 11:17 AM, Magnus <magnus at yonderway.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> http://hub.opensolaris.org/bin/download/Project+pkg/files/ipsdevguide.pdf
>>
>> FWIW, I think this sort of response is a sign of ill health for Illumos. We're still pointing to Oracle for our own documentation. And, as we should know by now, Oracle has no problems withdrawing things from public view with no warning.
>
> This documentation can probably be rewritten on the OI/Illumos wikis.
> I will do this.

The sources to that version of the developer guide are available, so you don't
need to rewrite from scratch:
https://hg.openindiana.org/upstream/oracle/pkg-gate/file/tip/doc/dev-guide

(Later versions are instead in the internal doc publishing system, so the
 sources aren't readily available under a suitable license, but then, they
 document post-175 features that aren't in the IPS version that I believe OI
 is using.)

	-Alan Coopersmith-              alan.coopersmith at oracle.com