[oi-dev] New Project Lead?

Garrett D'Amore garrett.damore at dey-sys.com
Mon Sep 3 04:46:39 UTC 2012

Just a quick note to since I'm the PL for illumos - or I was until recently. We've made some adjustments which basically make that role obsolete by creation of a very simple governance structure that reflects a meritocracy. It is also split between two bodies, one that addresses technology and another that handles non tech issues.  About the only real thing my role does now is that as founder I will have a permanent seat on the foundation. Otherwise I am now just another contributor.

The point is, I don't think you need to worry frantically about replacing Alasdair with another PL.  I would instead work hard to find parties who can help fill other gaps in release engineering, formal QA, and product packaging. I think also a project planner would be helpful to the project, but not one who makes decisions for the project but rather one who helps coordinate the product plans and communicates this eg by producing gantt charts and acting as secretary at team meetings etc.

I am not offering to help with any of these as my plate is already overfull. I am just offering my perspective is all.

  - Garrett

Sent from my iPhone