[oi-dev] New Project Lead?

Ken Gunderson kgunders at teamcool.net
Mon Sep 3 15:25:44 UTC 2012

At Mon, 3 Sep 2012 10:03:59 -0400,
Magnus Hedemark wrote:

> On Sep 3, 2012, at 6:44 AM, Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de (Joerg Schilling) wrote:
>

> > If we like OpenSolaris to survive, we need an OpenSolaris coordinator.
>
> OpenSolaris is long since dead. We are talking about OpenIndiana. Related, but different.

I think some clarification may be in order here.  I suspect Joerg is
referencing the OpenSolaris that existed as an umbrella project for
some years prior to Sun appropriating that name and rebranding their
"Indiana" project's binary release in order to leverage the growing
traction of OpenSolaris, the project.  If I recall correctly, there
was _much_ anger over this action expressed on the lists at that time,
at least by non Sun community members.  Especially as the community
first learned about this after it had already become a fait accompli
and Sun basically thumbed their noses at our consternation.  If I
recall correctly, and it has been some years so I may not be, more
than a couple detractors ended up being banned from the lists.

So I think Joerg is accurate in his use of "OpenSolaris" in this
context.  And I also suspect his use of it here is to remind us of
just what OpenSolaris started out as, and was supposed to be, before
Sun Marketroids screwed the community over.

I do not have the patience to search the list archives but there was
quite some brouhaha so it should not be too difficult for those
requiring further validation.  Let me also point out that Joerg was on
the OpenSolaris Governing Board at various times so he likely knows
that of which he speaks.

Peace-- Ken