[oi-dev] New Project Lead?

Joerg Schilling Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Mon Sep 3 19:02:23 UTC 2012

Ken Gunderson <kgunders at teamcool.net> wrote:

> > > Some people created the fork "Illumos" but failed to get the whole community
> > > behind them, so using the name Illumos does not work.
> >
> > Ok. I see. Can you please direct me to these other forks?
>
> Hello Nick:
>
> I suspect Schillix may be one such reference:
>
> <http://schillix.berlios.de/>

Just to avoid confusions. SchilliX is a OpenSolaris based distro - the first
OpenSolaris based distro that was available.

When SchilliX initially came out on June 17th 2005 (3 days after Sun
OpenSourced Solaris), it was based on the OpenSolaris base code (ONNV build 17).
It demonstrated something that even Sun did not believe at that time: Create a
bootable distro by adding only OpenSourced code.

At the same time, I published a list of files that were missing from Sun and
started to ask Sun to OpenSource

-	libm

-	make

-	SCCS

-	pkgadd & friends

remembering Sun to what they promised to do with OpenSolaris in September 2004.
The programs from above have been made OSS in December 2006 after remembering
Sun many times.

After Sun stopped updating ONNV on August 18 2010, SchilliX could no longer be
based on ONNV. I created a SchilliX release based on Illumos in September 2010,
but as it later turned out that the person behind Illumos was not interested in
a community collaboration, I created SchilliX-ON.

SchilliX is now a distro that is based on SchilliX-ON.

So if you like to see something that is a ONNV fork (like Illumos) you need to
check SchilliX-ON.

Jörg