[oi-dev] What comes next?

Damian Wojslaw damian at wojslaw.pl
Tue Sep 4 08:38:26 UTC 2012

Hello

So, all you OpenIndiana developers, whom I admire, what comes next? :)
I've seen few people declaring they would like to help, I think
packaging was mostly mentioned.
Please, let me ask few questions.

1. Is this link still valid? http://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/IPS+Knowledge
2. What would those people need to do, so start maintaining a package?
Is there a process,
like in Debian, a person has to go through before they are given package
maintaining duty?
3. Is the development sof OI till going at all?

4. What you, OI developers, would want from this distribution? What your
priorities are?

I'd like to reiterate what I've said many times in the past, when
OpenSolaris was still a live distribution.
If illumos wants to become widespread, it needs desktop distribution, a
usable one, so that people can use it,
play with it and learn it. This is how Linux crept into datacenters,
because people like me installed it as their
hobby desktop, to look at X, to look at FVWM, to use pine and share
modem connection at home. And then,
it was natural to start exim and apache on it. And then people like me
became admins, CIOs and CTOs and
started to use what they knew and liked. And I'd love illumos to become
the system people can install as their
hobby desktop.

Thank you.

Damian Wojsław