[oi-dev] Schily shell as /bin/sh

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Wed Sep 5 19:40:06 UTC 2012

On Wed, 5 Sep 2012, Joerg Schilling wrote:

> Given the fact that GNU autoconf has been more or less destroyed after release
> 2.13, so I personally base my work on an extremely enhanced gnu autoconf 2.13.
> The timing tests I did run, have been run with my enhanced autoconf-2.13

It was temporarily "destroyed" but then it was "undestroyed" so things
are ok again (while you were sleeping).  However, work is required in
order to catch up.

> Autoconf 2.13 works with all known shells - I have no idea why the FSF stopped
> to support this. I suspect that this is just a bash marketing action.
>
> The problem why newer GNU autoconf versions are so slow may be that they call
> a bew bash for each single test unless /bin/sh is bash - what you don't like to
> have on a POSIX compliant system.

Try invoking like it like

   CONFIG_SHELL=/usr/bin/dash /usr/bin/dash ./configure

If the starting shell and the official configure shell are the same,
then it should avoid the paranoid behavior that you describe.

This is totally off topic for this discussion thread.  A new
discussion thread should be started for the possibility of replacing
/bin/sh with your Schily shell.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn