[oi-dev] Desktop Illumos Still Matters

Alasdair Lumsden alasdairrr at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 20:33:37 UTC 2012

On 05/09/2012 21:22, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
> What do you suggest as a better replacement for this?

Oh it's easy - you strip most of them out after the file is generated.
Very easy to do with a post-install sed rule in the build recipe.

The bulk of them are pointless optimisations that aren't really relevant
when compiling an extension. The main LDFLAGS to preserve are -L/-R and
-l, and for CFLAGS its -D and -I.

As an example, mysql_config spits out this for CFLAGS:

-I/usr/mysql/5.1/include/mysql  -xprefetch=auto -xprefetch_level=3 -mt
-fns=no -fsimple=1 -xbuiltin=%all -xlibmil -xlibmopt -xnorunpath
-DHAVE_RWLOCK_T -DUNIV_SOLARIS

The only thing you really need for extensions to build is the -I bit.
The rest is Sun Studio pedantry.