[oi-dev] Desktop Illumos Still Matters

Joerg Schilling Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Wed Sep 5 23:23:48 UTC 2012

Alasdair Lumsden <alasdairrr at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 05/09/2012 21:58, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> > Alasdair Lumsden <alasdairrr at gmail.com> wrote:
> > It seems that you missunderstand the problem.
> >
> > The main issue is that the build system linked against /usr instead of linking
> > against something like: /home/user/proto/usr
>
> userland-gate still links against /usr - it has a per-package proto area
> rather than a build-system wide proto area.

Then the biggest problem has not been solved.

The "concept" of "flagdays" is wrong, it does not allow reliable upgrades as
everytime, when more than a single leaf project in such a consolidation is
updated, an unknown number of build/install cycles must follow until no
binaries change from the next build cycle.

A clean build system would have a own global proto area. With this concept, you
would still need to have the right compile order that depends on the link
dependencies.

> "You need to comment out line 71 of the file
> /usr/include/net-snmp/net-snmp-config.h
> do that it then looks this way:
>
> /*#define HAVE_CPP_UNDERBAR_FUNCTION_DEFINED 1*/
>
> This is needed as the sunstudio-12 compiler and gcc-3.4.3 do not support
> __FUNCTION__"
>
> That's an autoconf problem, not a problem with the build system. If you
> build software with a new compiler, autoconf will detect its new features.

It is a problem that is based on the original software, I mentioned it because
Sun claimed that all include files in /usr/include are non-dynamic and
independent from compiler versions. This was done in a discussion where Sun
claimed that dynamic configuration results are unacceptable dependencies for
the ONNV compilation. I should note that the file net-snmp-config.h _is_ such a
ONNV dependency.

Jörg