[oi-dev] VNIC Creation failure

Ron Parker rdparker at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 05:04:36 UTC 2012

Nick,

Sorry to break the message threading, I was not joined to the list
when you asked the question.

Yes it's possible to use an etherstub with your per-zone vnics hanging
off of it. I have the details of it documented at work, but basically
you

1. Create the etherstub
2. Create the VNICs, possibly with one for the host if it needs access
to the subnet the zones are on
3. Configure each zone with a static exclusive interface assigned to
the given vnic.
4. Set up NAT by configuring /etc/ipf/ipnat.conf with something like:

    map bge0 192.168.190.0/24 -> 0/32 portmap tcp/udp auto
    map bge0 192.168.190.0/24 -> 0/32

where the network specified is your zone subnet.

5. Enable IP forwarding and update the config

    routeadm -e ipv4-forwarding
    routeadm -u

6. Enable the IP filter service:

    svcadm -e svc:/network/ipfilter:default

Well that's off the top of my head, if you need more details I can
give them when I get to work in ~9 hours. Otherwise I just did a quick
google and it looks like this is documented much better than when I
pieced it together for my self. You may want to check
http://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/Using+host-only+networking+to+get+from+build+zones+and+test+VMs+to+the+Internet.

--
Ron Parker
Don't type things you find on the Internet into your computer!