[oi-dev] VNIC creation failure

Ewald Ertl ewald.ertl at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 08:13:57 UTC 2012

Hi,

On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 5:14 AM, Nick Zivkovic <zivkovic.nick at gmail.com>wrote:

> Is it possible to get zones on an etherstub to communicate with the global
> zone?

Yes, it's possible and I  have it running since some time now.

I have a WinXP running in a virtualbox, which has assigned a vnic connected
to a virtual etherstub.
The global zone has also a vnic connected to the etherstub, but all have
fixed addresses.

For Virtualbox, I have the VNIC set to bridged mode and I have also the set
the same
MAC adresse in Virtualbox as listed by "dladm show-vnic"

In the global zone, I have activated the ipfilter service and configured it
to do NAT.

The content of /etc/ipf/ipnat.conf is
map e1000g0  192.168.1.0/24 ->
0/32
map iwh0  192.168.1.0/24 -> 0/32
rdr e1000g0  0.0.0.0/0 port 9090 -> 192.168.1.101 port 8080
rdr e1000g0  0.0.0.0/0 port 18000 -> 192.168.1.101 port 17000
rdr e1000g0  0.0.0.0/0 port 2222 -> 192.168.1.101 port 22

I do the natting for both the ethernet e1000g0 and the wireless adapater
iwh0, so regardless
of the network I'm in, the other systems can communicate with the outside
world.

The rdr lines allow redirections of ports to my "local virtual" network.

> For me, shared-ip stacks won't work because the network admins here
> won't give me multiple addresses per network card.
>
> The networking is determined via dhcp.
>
> Is it possible to set it up so that the NGZs can use the GZ as a router?

Yes, I've also enabled IPv4 routing with routeadm.

HTH Ewald