[oi-dev] is there a vector for donating to OI?

Ken Gunderson kgunders at teamcool.net
Thu Sep 6 19:27:02 UTC 2012

At Thu, 6 Sep 2012 11:54:31 -0700,
Deirdre Straughan wrote:

> Any further thoughts on this, anyone?

[...]

Since you asked....

While OI and Illumos should retain and nurture a collaborative
relationship, I also think OI should foster and maintain it's own
independence, as imho Illumos and Nexenta have not always acted in
OI's best interest.  Hence, my vote would be for OI to form it's own
foundation.

Whether this can be accomplished in a time frame suitable for the
donation referenced is another matter.  I think having some clue as to
rough figures would help here, and if not too large amount I would
vote for it just to handed over to Alasdair and let him handle it as
best he sees fit until an appropriate legal entity could be
established.  Heck, setting up such may well be the best use of said
funds.

As for Alasdair having resigned as project lead, I would politely ask
 if we could prevail upon him to re-don his lead hat for this one last
 action.  Why?  In short; I feel he, likely more than anyone, has the
 community's trust.

Regards-- Ken