[oi-dev] Desktop Illumos Still Matters

Joerg Schilling Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Thu Sep 6 19:39:46 UTC 2012

Nick Zivkovic <zivkovic.nick at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 4:35 AM, Joerg Schilling
> <Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de> wrote:
> > "Andrew M. Hettinger" <AHettinger at Prominic.NET> wrote:
> >
> >> That said, I think what Nick was talking about was not a build failure, but
> >> common issues IPS itself can have. I've seen a few (rare) times where it
> >> will just spit out a call-stack. Haveing a goto page of potental problems
> >> and fixes/workarounds would help.
> >
> > Apart from the uncomodities with IPS, there is a real bug in OI:
> >
> > There is no way to mark a zone as "native" in OI and a native zone will be
> > modified on upgrades even though this is wrong.
>
> Hi Joerg.
>
> If I understand you correctly, when doing an image-update with IPS,
> IPS will try to forcefully update all (ipkg-brand) NGZs?
>
> I don't see this in the documentation anywhere. Or did you have
> something else in mind?

Correct and this is the problem together with the fact that Sun did remove the
support files for zonecfg and zoneadm that are needed to mark a zone to be a
native Solaris zone. As a result, all zones are of type ipkg brand even when
you install a natize zone that runs e.g. SchilliX.

I recommend to add this changeset:

	http://hg.berlios.de/repos/schillix-on/rev/b43ccebc5075

to fix the problem.

Jörg