[oi-dev] is there a vector for donating to OI?

magnus at yonderway.com magnus at yonderway.com
Thu Sep 6 19:57:13 UTC 2012

On Thu, 06 Sep 2012 13:54:02 -0600, Ken Gunderson <kgunders at teamcool.net>
wrote:

> The foundation doesn't necessarily need to govern anything.  Indeed,
> my preference is that it would not.  Rather it just needs to be a
> shell legal entity that can deal with legalities such as banking and
> copyright type stuff.  The community at large can still direct/weigh
> in on decisions w/o a whole lot of change from how things are handled
> presently.

That's the thing, though; there is no such thing as an ungoverned shell
corporation (at least in the US). You must, in order to be able to accept
definitions, have articles of incorporation, trustees, something like a
board of directors, regular board meetings, financial statements, etc. You
can't just file a piece of paper once and forget about it. The fine details
of all of this stuff are somewhat malleable but there very much needs to be
governance in place to establish, and maintain, a not-for-profit entity.