[oi-dev] is there a vector for donating to OI?

Deirdre Straughan deirdre.straughan at joyent.com
Thu Sep 6 21:15:24 UTC 2012

In fact, the establishment of the illumos Foundation has been a fair amount
of work and is still in progress. It is incorporated in California as a
501(c)(6), has an initial board (Garrett, Jason Hoffman of Joyent, and Even
Powell of Nexenta - we expect to expand this soon), and by-laws are in
progress. All this has taken time and does cost money (you need a lawyer).

For the time being and likely near to mid future, the Foundation does not
have much money, but it doesn't have much in the way of costs, either. I'm
acting as community manager for illumos as well as SmartOS (paid by Joyent
to do both, among other tasks), and do my best to represent the interests
of all impartially. All of our services and infrastructure are donated by
eg ListBox and Joyent.

The foundation is meant to foster the interests of core illumos and its
"children", and OI is assuredly part of the family. If you (collectively)
would like us to handle funds for you, I'm pretty sure we can do that,
though formally we need to put it to the Foundation board.

I'd agree that there's not much need for governance (nor do we want much
for illumos itself). You don't need me or Garrett to tell you what to do -
just go do it, and let us know how we can help.

On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 1:46 PM, Andrew M. Hettinger <AHettinger at prominic.net
> wrote:

> I think this is alot of work for no gain. As long as the illumos
> foundation is willing to earmark donations for us to use (even if they want
> to keep a small amount to cover their expenses for doing so), and is fine
> with us handling our governance ourselves I see no reason to go through the
> trouble and cost of making a fully separate entity. This is not something
> that just happens, there are legal hurtles, mostly to the initial
> separation, but to a lesser degree ongoing in setting up to be able to
> accept donations and remain in compliance with the law.
>
> The Illumos Foundation has been vary generous to provide us with hosting,
> support, and not make any real demands on us in return. I think the best
> with regard to this is to continue with our existing symbiotic relationship.
>
> Andrew Hettinger
> http://Prominic.NET || AHettinger at Prominic.NET
> Tel: 866.339.3169 (toll free) -or- +1.217.356.2888 x.110 (int'l)
> Fax: 866.372.3356 (toll free) -or- +1.217.356.3356 (int'l)
>

> <magnus at yonderway.com> wrote on 09/06/2012 03:32:41 PM:
>
> > On Thu, 06 Sep 2012 14:15:48 -0600, Ken Gunderson <kgunders at teamcool.net
> >
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Doesn't need to be a "C" corp. Keep it simple. Maybe an LLC or "S"
> > > corp?
> >
> > Not if you want to accept tax-deductible donations.
> >
> > The cliff's notes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/501(c)
> >
> > A 501(c)(3) may or may not be the right way to go. It's the kind of
> > corporation that is attractive for people and corporations (and other
> > Foundations, potentially) to make tax-deductible donations to. But there
> > are responsibilities involved with keeping it going.
> >
> > -M

best regards,
Deirdré Straughan
Community Architect, SmartOS