[oi-dev] Post 151 development

Nick Zivkovic zivkovic.nick at gmail.com
Sat Sep 15 03:24:49 UTC 2012

For what it's worth:

I use a Mac on a laptop, OpenIndiana 147 on my ThinkPad and
OpenIndiana 151 on a desktop.

I've kept my thinkpad laptop on for weeks at a time. I've kept my
desktop (when it was running OI 147) on for _over a year_.

Both of those machines have 4GB of RAM. The desktop has an Core 2 Duo
and the laptop has an intel i3.

My macbook has an intel i7 and 4GB of RAM.

I've had to reboot my macbook at _least_ once every 2 days. If it is
running for 3 days it begins to swap like crazy and the spinning disk
of doom appears.

If Mac OS X, the _premiere_ desktop OS, can have this kind of
instability (which is what it is), then I think OI is ahead of the
curve as far as stability goes. Definitely trailing in user experience
and aesthetics, but really, who cares? Do you want a show-horse or a
work-horse?

Just my 2 cents.