[oi-dev] New Project Lead?

Nick Zivkovic zivkovic.nick at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 03:22:35 UTC 2012

On Sun, Sep 2, 2012 at 9:50 PM,  <chrisjones at unixmen.com> wrote:
> Although I am relatively new to the project and it is true I have not
> contributed any code, I would be prepared to take on the role if there was

IMHO, a project lead should be one who contributes code and packages
to OI. Otherwise, the project lead is just an expendable figure head
with no real purpose.

In order to set a release schedule, and so on, you have to be
intimately familiar with the code that is being released.

Before this discussion devolves into a governance orgy, I think that
all we really need is people who write code, and make it publicly
available, in a roughly synchronized way.

We should have a network of developers. Not a hierarchy.

> no one else suitable. Just some food for thought I guess. I think the real
> question is who is going to select the new Project Leader?

Even if a new project leader is selected by the community and sworn
in, what difference will it make, other than making OI's situation
_seem_ less dire?

I think a de facto project leader will emerge from the ranks of
programmers pretty much automatically. Most likely it will be the
programmer that has had or is having the most profound impact on the
OI project.

But that's just my theory.