[oi-dev] New Project Lead?

Magnus magnus at yonderway.com
Mon Sep 3 14:37:21 UTC 2012

On Sep 3, 2012, at 10:24 AM, Joerg Schilling wrote:

> Looks like you missunderstand the problem and that your understanding is one of
> the reasons for the existing problems.

I'm not so sure that I misunderstand. I understand that OpenSolaris != OpenIndiana. They have a common ancestry, but they are two different things made by two different organizations.

OpenSolaris is dead, the organization responsible for it has mostly buried it, and we should only be referring to it in the past-tense.

OpenIndiana is very much alive, though perhaps reeling a bit from recent events. If we're talking about the things that people here are working on, we're not talking at all about OpenSolaris (the past) but OpenIndiana (the present & future).

I understand that English may not be your first language, but precision in this matter is important. Referring to OpenIndiana as OpenSolaris is disrespectful to all those that have carried us forward from the past, IMHO.

> As mentioned earlier, OpenSolaris needs a sufficient amount of supporters.

OpenSolaris only requires flowers on its grave and a weeping widow to come by and visit ever year on the anniversary of its death.