[oi-dev] Desktop Illumos Still Matters

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Wed Sep 5 19:43:36 UTC 2012

On 09/ 5/12 10:55 AM, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
> Nick Zivkovic wrote:
>> Basically, I'm asking if it is better to have one convention
>> (everything in /usr/$consolidation) instead of two (some things in
>> /usr/$consolidation and others in /opt/$consolidation)?
>>

> There's never been any rule about consolidations being funneled into specific
> directories. It may be that it makes sense in a few specific cases because of
> functional groupings, but not universally.

In fact, we've been going the other way for years, moving away from
/usr/$subsystem directories that impose meaningless boundaries in the way of
users.

In the last OpenSolaris builds released (snv_130 & later), OpenIndiana, and
Solaris 11 you should find that /usr/X11 is simply a bunch of backwards
compatibility symlinks.   Most of the X11 libraries were simply reached via
/usr/lib since Solaris 2.6, and the rest of the X11 files moved to /usr/bin,
/usr/share, /usr/lib, etc. in those Nevada builds.

	-Alan Coopersmith-              alan.coopersmith at oracle.com