[oi-dev] Post 151 development

Jose-Marcio Martins da Cruz jose.marcio.mc at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 19:40:04 UTC 2012

Hello,

ken mays wrote:

> 1. Is the latest JDS build something wanted by OI users and developers?
>
> This was one of the issues brought up, yet are we looking for a build of the most latest bits? This was done a few months ago for a build kit ISO  so the work can transfer over.
>
> This way oi developers and users can test and review the latest JDS build and msy help redolve some issues in modernization of the distro as mentioned elsewhere.

Although me too I'm one of those dinosaurs ...

My needs are just a OS stable enough to run on a infrastructure server.

Although I understand people wanting a full operational desktop environment, I
don't care too much. For me (but it's just a personnal opinion), I want a
openindiana environment just to be able to have a multi-windowing system (in
fact many terminals on the console).

For the moment, I work on two workstations, one running an old version of
Solaris and the other running Linux (a laptop), but I surely can switch one of
them to OpenIndiana.

All this to say that, IMHO, it's important to release, as soon as possible, a
stable "server version". A stable desktop version may be released later.

It's not a problem for me to add another "desktop based workstation" to work on
and test.

Regards,

José-Marcio