[oi-dev] State of development

G B g_patrickb at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 14 14:51:37 UTC 2013

Presently my commercial websites and mail servers run on OpenBSD, but I am in the process of moving them to either OpenIndiana, FreeBSD, or NetBSD.  I have more than a decade using Solaris in the enterprise for some very large companies, so my knowledge of Solaris gives OI a step ahead of the competition.

FreeBSD does have DTrace and ZFS, but ZFS is installed by default by OI (of course).  But OI also gives me the opportunity to run Solaris binaries such as ooRexx and DB2 that the others cannot run.  FreeBSD does have ooRexx 3.0 available, but only for the i386 architecture, and I need amd64.

The OI website seems to not be mostly unmaintained and although the openindiana.org site is available, the few mirrors that did or do exist seem to be shutting down.

I would certainly like to use OI, but I'm concerned about the state.

OI's last release was Oct 2012, so my question is when is the next release (151a8) scheduled to be released?