[oi-dev] State of development

Hans-Peter Carpenter thecarpy at netscape.net
Sat Apr 27 15:32:53 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I have had a look through the wiki and am getting stuck, first because I
do not know the state of the union and have not followed what has
already been done ... I only just joined.

I am unsure of what has been done on the build part, we were supposed to
use oi-build, which had been taken over and deeply modified by
illuminos, from what I read - maybe I got it all wrong, though. So I am
not even sure about how we build stuff! The wiki is talking about
oi-build, however, from Alasdair I hear it is now called
illumos-userland ... so, should we just go back to oi-build and use that?

How about branding, do we finally have an icon that scales well? It took
me 30 minutes to come up with something, I am NOT a graphics guy, I just
know inkscape, a little.

Maybe we need to set a couple of targets, like get a build out with what
we have ... I can try to build some of the upstream stuff, anybody else?

The only problem I face is finding out who wants to do what, here, and
what needs to happen to get a build out - as stated before, I only just
joined.

@Jim, I have finally answered your email; in short, I was trying to be
funny and muster people ... my clarifications below.
@Jon Tibble, how do you feel about this? What are your plans, if you are
still reading this list ...

Regards,

HP

On 04/18/2013 02:00 PM, Jim Klimov wrote:
> On 2013-04-18 12:05, Hans-Peter Carpenter wrote:
>> Just thought FreeBSD stole "our" DTRACE and ZFS, let's steal their
>> drivers ;-)
>
> That's not stealing. The explicit licensing of both projects allows
> such borrowing of code to the benefits of collaboration, as well as
> adding extra eyeballs to review code and overall design (there are
> is number of wrinkles in ZFS found by porters to BSD and Linux for
> example).

I was trying to be both constructive and funny; apparently, I failed on
both. I know that BSD has brought a lot to the computing industry ... I
read Ted Mittelstaedt's FreeBSD book back in the day. Besides, the
quotes on "our" were there to mark irony, we forked after they started
borrowing it (iirc) and it is not even ours.

>> We do need vision and a plan. I would be happy to update the website, I
>> have done some tiny changes here and there, and I thought this project
>> was dead, now I see a bunch of people who actually want this thing to
>> roll, I am not alone? Coool! This mailing list has a life after all ...
>> (except wifi driver compilation issues/porting).
>>
>> I have a couple of weeks off of work soon, if I overhaul the wiki a bit,
>> what will you do?
>
> I believe, we will thank you, publicly or in our minds ;)
My idea was more "what will you contribute?" Trying to muster support.