[oi-dev] Broadcom wireless drivers for OpenIndiana

Jim Klimov jim at cos.ru
Sun Apr 28 12:12:43 UTC 2013

> Hi Jean-Pierre,
>
> Impressive work and congrats on a successful resolution and NDIS implementation!
> Can you and Jim please update the bug ticket as well?
>
> Thanks,
> Ken Mays

Jean-Pierre will be mostly off the internet this week, but before he left we
made sure that I can compile, load and use an ndis driver based on his work.
Given that he has a different build environment, there were some wrinkles
like enforcing structure alignment and fighting compiler optimization which
threw away some needed routines.

My part in this is much smaller, I tested the lot, and made sure it builds
in oi_151a7; contributed an enhanced Makefile which can take the given
bcmwl564.sys and bcmwl5.inf files in its current copy of the amd64
directory, and then build, test and install the driver.

I also added an init-script based on the same logic as in the Makefile to
facilitate plumbing/unplumbing of the interfaces and mod(un)loading of
the driver itself. It was needed to avoid normal OS auto-configuration of
interfaces in my case, because a botched driver got the system into a
loop of kernel panics. The init-script makes a block-file before trying to
modload+plumb, so if it fails quickly - next time it will skip the activity,
hopefully.

I uploaded my current patch against JPA's "ndis1.3.0.rc2" to the
bugtracker, and we hope that during this week someone else would
be able to test the driver with their hardware, binary driver versions,
compilers, OEes, etc. While there are always some cosmetic
improvements to make before a release, at the moment (with this
patch) people should be able to build and use WEP WiFi with
BroadCom drivers already, at least on certain binary driver versions
and with NICs supported by them.

https://www.illumos.org/issues/3367
https://www.illumos.org/attachments/900/ndis.1.3.0.rc3jim.patch6

Thanks, and we are looking forward to your results :)

//Jim Klimov

>  From: Jean-Pierre <jean-pierre.andre at wanadoo.fr>
> I have uploaded to
> http://jp-andre.pagesperso-orange.fr/ndis.1.3.0.rc2.tar.gz
> a release candidate for an ndis emulator which can emulate the
> NDIS5 interface in 64-bit mode for Broadcom wireless drivers
> designed for Windows.
>
> This is a source tarball for which completing a Makefile really
> usable on OpenIndiana is left as an exercice for the user.
> Please read the included bcm4312.htm files for the
 procedure
> to compile and install.
>
> I have tested the emulator with my wireless device (vendor 14E4
> device 4315) and the three versions of the Broadcom driver
> described below. Jim Klimov has sucessfully tested the latest
> version with his own device (vendor 14E4 device 4727).
>
> Only WEP encryption is available so far (WPA is not supported).
>
> Supported devices by driver 4.170.25.12, September 21, 2007
> (from Dell R174291.exe) :
>
> Vendor 14E4 device 4311
> Vendor 14E4 device 4312
> Vendor 14E4 device 4315
> Vendor 14E4 device 4318
> Vendor 14E4 device 4319
> Vendor 14E4 device 4320 rev 03
> Vendor 14E4 device 4324 rev 03
> Vendor 14E4 device 4328
>
> Supported devices by driver 4.170.77.3, March 22, 2008
> (from HP sp39912.exe), same as above, plus :
>
> Vendor 14E4 device 4307
> Vendor 14E4 device 432B
>
> Supported devices by driver 5.60.350.6, March 23, 2010
> (from HP sp48616.exe), same as above,
 plus :