[oi-dev] introducing gfortran or make gcc refactoring?

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Thu Aug 1 10:13:21 UTC 2013

On 2013-07-30 15:55, Alexander Pyhalov wrote:
> On 07/30/2013 17:44, Alexander Eremin wrote:
>>> BTW: is it normal that gcc rebuild took 18 hours or more?
>  > For me it takes 30-40 min on i7
>  >
> Yes, even in VM running on 6 years old server it takes 3 hours... So I
> was surprised when build server has groaned for so long :)

Well, there is lots and lots of small files involved, over and over
if you do the whole bootstrapping from scratch... is there any NFS
involved on the build server? Or anything to get similar slow effect
due to sync file IO and/or directory operations? ;)

I did have lags on a build zone which mounted the working directory
(user's homedir) via NFS from the global zone; things went a lot
faster when the same effect was achieved by lofs-mounting the home
directory hierarchy into the zones which need it.

HTH,
//Jim