[oi-dev] default mysql version and provider

Alexander Pyhalov alp at rsu.ru
Mon Aug 5 14:07:56 UTC 2013

Hello.
I committed mariadb to /hipster repository. On Friday I added
percona-server. The question is - do we want to change default mysql
dependencies for packages and what should it be?

The options are
1) Preserve mysql 5.1 dependencies (like upstream).
2) Create mysql 5.6 package and switch dependencies to it.
3) Switch default dependencies to percona or mariadb (like Fedora or
OpenSUSE).

The considerations are possible compatibility issues. We preserve mysql
5.1 libraries. But what will happen if independent software A depends on
mysql and library B which was switched to MariaDB dependency? It's just
a hypothetical example...

Waiting for your opinions.
--
Best regards,