[oi-dev] readline and termcap question

Alexander Pyhalov alp at rsu.ru
Mon Aug 19 15:46:04 UTC 2013

Hello.
Our current libreadline in /hipster is not linked to libtermcap.so. This
causes issues when applications don't add "-ltermcap" linker flag.
We have the following patch
https://hg.openindiana.org/sustaining/oi_151a/sfw-gate/rev/1d4f978df141
applied in /dev.

But issue is that we already have in /hipster applications that are
linked to readline and ncurses - like some python components.
What is the correct way here? Trying to recompile affected components
with curses instead of ncurses or explicitly add "-ltermcap" flag to
application which uses readline if it doesn't do it itself?

Solaris 11 seems to opted for the second path (adding -ltermcap flags),
OI-dev - for the first (linking readline to libtermcap.

The only package which links both readline and ncurses I'm aware about
is python2.6 (/usr/lib/python2.6/lib-dynload/64/_curses.so).  What do
you think? Perhaps, just apply this patch and try to recompile python
with curses modules curses instead of ncurses?
--
Best regards,
Alexander Pyhalov,