[oi-dev] packages versions

Alexander Pyhalov alp at rsu.ru
Wed Aug 21 17:12:13 UTC 2013

Hello.
I'd like to suggest the following topic for discussion - package
versions. We have several problems in /hipster:
a) to trigger package update it is necessary to touch Makefile
b) we need an indication that package wasn't just rebuilt, but was changed
c) we don't have a rollback mechanism for package updates.

There are several possible actions:

1) add IPS_COMPONENT_SUBVERSION variable which indicates  local change
of the package and must be changed with every package modification, so that
package number looks like
$(IPS_COMPONENT_VERSION).$(IPS_COMPONENT_SUBVERSION),$(BUILD_VERSION) or
similar;

2) for packages having spoiled package versions introduce var like
IPS_FICTIVE_VERSION with arbitrary high values (100, 1000, etc), set
IPS_COMPONENT_VERSION to it, IPS_HUMAN_VERSION to real version and use
incremented IPS_COMPONENT_SUBVERSION.

What do you think?
--
Best regards,