[oi-dev] default mysql version and provider

Alexander Pyhalov alp at rsu.ru
Mon Aug 5 18:00:35 UTC 2013

Hello.

Adam Števko писал 05.08.2013 19:56:
> Hi,
>
> first of all, good job!
>
> How many open source software are switching from mysql to mariadb? I
> am aware of some Linux distributions replacing mysql with mariadb and
> that is something, which will eventually happen over time. I would
> vote for moving to mariadb, however this WILL break compatibility. Are
> there any good reasons, why should we stick to mysql instead of
> mariadb/percona?

You wanted to ask - are there any other good reasons except possible
compatibility  issues? :)
It would be interesting to estimate what can be broken with such change.
This breakage can be hard to catch as we don't remove mysql libs. I
think it can arise when some program
linked to mysql library will load library linked to the replacement. If
it just uses old mysql libraries
it should not be broken - at least, they are staying in place.

I don't know what should be preferred - MariaDB or Percona. I have
positive experience with Percona and
I've seen that percona library can serve as a full replacement for mysql
one. Also to note, I shouldn't make
some strange patches to Perconat to make it work (I mean asm/gcc issue -
https://github.com/OpenIndiana/oi-userland/blob/oi/hipster/components/mariadb-55/patches/cfi-issue.patch).
But MariaDB project seems to be more popular and will likely to become
more active.
---