[oi-dev] Notes on marking python-24 obsolete

Alexander Pyhalov alp at rsu.ru
Sat Dec 7 10:43:52 UTC 2013

Hello.
While looking at python 2.6, 2.7 components,
I see they still have to take into consideration python 2.4 existence.

I think it's time to review python24 removal.

I see that virt-manager was rempoved from oi-jds:
http://hg.opensolaris.cz/oi-jds/log?rev=virt-manager
But it is still present in oi 151a8.
Perhaps, it's time to remove it.

As for epydoc, it is not supported upstream, so I'd prefer to
mark it obsolete too.

Now postgres-84/language-bindings and mercurial doesn't depend on python
2.4.

So, it seems we are ready to mark python 2.4 and all dependent stuff
obsolete.
Any objections?

Alexander Pyhalov писал 16.08.2013 09:05:
> Hello.
>
> Warning!!! We have a live zombie here....
> Python 2.4 last release was 10 years ago and it's still is not
> obsolete. I feel that something is wrong.
> Quick notes on making this real. Need comments and hints - especially
> on xvm and SUN VTS. Where do these consolidations come from? Do we
> need them?
>
> Packages dependent on python-24:
>
> These packages just need some work - we should  bring them or enable
> them in userland:
> pkg:/database/postgres-84/language-bindings
> pkg:/desktop/virt-manager
> pkg:/developer/versioning/mercurial
>
> Does someone need this one? Last release in 2008...
> pkg:/developer/documentation-tool/epydoc
>
> SUN VTS ? Where does it come from? Do we need it?
> pkg:/system/test/sunvts/tests
>
> XVM ? Where does it come from?  Do we need it?
> pkg:/system/virtinst
> pkg:/system/xvm/header-xvm
> pkg:/web/urlgrabber
> pkg:/system/library/libvirt
>
> Should be marked obsolete:
> pkg:/database/postgres-82/language-bindings
> pkg:/database/postgres-83/language-bindings
>
> Not a problem:
> pkg:/library/python-2/python-extra-24
> pkg:/library/python-2/python-gnome-libs-24
> pkg:/library/python-2/python-mysql-24
> pkg:/library/python-2/python-twisted-24
> pkg:/library/python-2/setuptools-24
> pkg:/metapackages/gui-install