[oi-dev] Location for numerical libraries: /usr/lib or /usr/lib/<name> ?

Alexander Pyhalov alp at rsu.ru
Wed Dec 4 04:33:44 UTC 2013

Hello.

Aurélien Larcher писал 04.12.2013 03:11:
> Hi,
> I have packaged a bunch of numerical libraries like arpack-ng, hypre,
> suitesparse, blacs for oi-userland and I would like to know if they
> should
> be installed in /usr/lib or if they should live in /usr/lib/<name> ?
>
> For BLAS and LAPACK it makes sense to be able to select different
> implementations so it is somewhat clear but what is the
> recommended/general
> rule ?

General rule is to ship libraries in /usr/lib or /usr/lib/amd64 so that
"-llib" will just work without any perculiarities.
However, when having several versions of library is useful (e.g.,
different versions or implementations - like mariadb vs percona server)
we can ship it in separate directories - like /usr/mariadb/5.5/lib and
/usr/mariadb/5.5/lib/amd64.
---